5 Ways to Create Meaningful Connections in a Virtual World
This list was initially created for students embarking on a new career during covid-19.
It also includes EQ techniques helpful for everyone.
- Connect with intention.
- Before engaging with someone online, take a step back and ask why you are doing so.
- What is the purpose of the interaction?
- What are you hoping to gain or give?
- Make it all about them.
- Listening is an essential ingredient in effective communication, online interactions included.
- Listening also provides a much needed break from monotonous internal dialogue.
- In a virtual world, “listening” often takes place through reading and staying open to another person’s perspective. No matter how different.
- From “Me to We”
- Do the people research.
- The first thing I do before I engage with someone online is read their page – literally!
- I read their “About Me” biography. Plus their comments and interactions on social media, blog posts, and articles. And if available, I listen to their interviews and watch accompanying videos.
- I love learning about the people I interact with. Especially their strengths.
- Do the company research.
- This is where I get curious about what makes a company tick!
- The people, the history, the economics, the geography, the philosophy.
- The company’s motto and theme song (check out their facebook page).
- Pick up the phone and talk to the receptionist and administrative assistants — the pulse of the organization. And if possible, engage with front line workers and management.
- This is also the time to assess if the company’s core values match up with your own.
- Is it a good fit?
- Create a need for your services.
- What makes YOU .. YOU?!
- What makes you unique, different, quirky, goofy, all kinds of wonderful?
- This is the part of the online interaction process where your personality wraps around your talents, education, and abilities.
- For example: when I was a kid, my Dad always said: “Andrea, you better get a job where you get paid to talk” because.. I couldn’t stop talking! (you should have seen my grade 8 report card)
- This is why I come alive in the classroom but would fade away in a research lab.
- What parts of your personality make your skill set stand out?
Watch 3 min Video of Post: Click Here