5 Why’s Technique
Exploring the Unconscious Mind
An analytic (below the surface) strategy originating in the psychoanalytic theories of Sigmund Freud and Carl Jung.
Freud’s Iceberg Analogy : Click Here
- Write down on a sheet of paper something you beat yourself up for over and over again. (Related Post: Why Are We So Hard on Ourselves)
- State the anxiety provoking situation out loud.
- For example:
- Why is it so overwhelming for me to spend time with ________ ?
- Why do I repeatedly agree to do ___________ when I know it makes me uncomfortable?
- Ask Yourself Why in response to your question Five Times.
- Watch the psychology video below for a “live” example of this technique.
The goal is to discover the root source of what causes fear in a particular time, place, or situation.
With the ultimate intention of enhancing inner peace and understanding.
To Learn More
Watch my in-depth interview on situational anxiety with Dr. Katherin Garland: https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=N7ttX6h_D8o