Have you ever wondered how your best friend lives so freely “moment-to-moment” while your mind is imprisoned by thoughts of past events and/or planning of future events (so neatly) written in your (overly structured) daytimer?
Brain Hemispheric Specialization provides insight into why some of us are more present focused and able to “go with the flow” (Right Brain dominant); while others are busy planning their days with the step-by-step precision of a NASA engineer (Left Brain dominant).
Despite being identical in structure, the two halves of the brain specialize in how they process information (e.g., Past vs. Present), and how they function (e.g., Verbal vs. Nonverbal).
- Left hemisphere – processes information sequentially, one bit at a time
- Right hemisphere – processes information globally, considering it as a whole
- Left hemisphere – includes verbal tasks, such as speaking, reading, thinking, and reasoning.
- Right hemisphere – includes nonverbal areas such as the understanding of spatial relationships, recognition of patterns and drawings, music, and emotional expression.
To learn more about neuroscience and behaviour – Download Chapter 2 of my psychology textbook with McGraw-Hill Ryerson Higher Education.
Neuroscience in Your Life
Have you ever wondered if you were more Left or Right Brain dominant?
- Complete Left/Right Brain Dominance Test to find out which brain hemisphere currently dominates your life.
- I obtained a score of 10 on this test – indicating that I am equally Left and Right Brained. Which didn’t surprise me as I often “lay the table” with outlines, organizers, etc. (Left Brain) And the moment I feel safe, grounded, and prepared, I sit back and watch the ideas fly! (Right Brain)
- What about you? How did you score on the Left/Right Brain Dominance Test? Was it what you expected? Were the results consistent with how you live your life? Did you learn something new about yourself?
Who would you be without one of your hemispheres? How would you cope?
2. Watch this 20 minute video to discover how Neuroscientist Dr. Jill Bolte Taylor turned her real-life tragedy into an awe inspiring “Stroke of Insight“.
The more time we spend choosing to run the deep inner peace circuitry of our right hemisphere, the more peaceful our planet will be. Jill Bolte Taylor
What side of the brain do you live on?