How do you express your love?
- The 5 Love Languages Quiz for Singles: Click Here
- The 5 Love Languages Quiz for Couples: Click Here
- Paper Version of Quiz — Tap on Photo Below
Love and Social Psychology
One of the reasons I love teaching psychology is that it gives me the opportunity to share why we do what we do. Including in romance!
The more we understand ourselves, the more compassionate we will be about ourselves and others.
So given today is Valentine’s Day, I thought it would be a good time to resurrect a 2019 social psychology lecture on the 5 love languages.
In this particular psychology class, we talked about: 1) what we value in a relationship, 2) our preferred love language, and 3) possible reasons for romantic successes and failures.
Discussed more fully in the two videos below.
The Theories of Love (Part 1)
In the first video I discuss the psychological theories and related life experiences that lay the foundation for a social psychology class on love and attraction (Chapter 14 in my psychology textbook).
The Reality of Love (Part 2)
In the second video I reflect upon the lessons learned in psychology class and how to apply these love lessons in real life.
Topics covered on video and in class:
- While dating, be on the lookout for concrete factual evidence of what is important to you. Both in person and online.
- For example, how does “love for family” show up in your potential partner’s actions.
- Also, if your relationship values include loyalty, spending time outdoors, and making mental health a priority. Is this something the person you are dating also values and lives by?
- It is also important to look beyond the surface and pay attention to nonverbal cues, communication, and behaviour.
- Do their words match their behaviour? For example, your date claims to be a great listener while spending the entire night checking their phone.
When people show you who they are, believe them.Maya Angelou
1. What do you value most?
- sense of humour
- physical attractiveness
2. How do you communicate love?
- Love Notes
- Surprise Gifts
- Quality Time
Love Quiz → Click Here Love Video 1 → Click Here Love Video 2 → Click Here